Brian Fies: The Second-Best Advice I Ever Gave

My friend and award-winning graphic novelist Brian Fies does not have any pie in the sky advice. None of this "follow your bliss" or "follow your muse" kinda talk. Today, he passes along some real nuts & bolts practical advice from a panel talk he gave at the Alternative Press Expo.

In today's post at his Fies Files blog, Brian shares a bit of his thinking process and some of his mistakes behind his award winning graphic novel MOM'S CANCER:

"When my turn came, I decided to offer the most hard-headed, practical advice I could: understand the graphic requirements of whatever medium your art is destined for. Think ahead to any possible future uses for your art. Then work at the highest resolution and quality you can.

"You are welcome to conclude that I learned this lesson the hard way."

The whole thing is here.

Brian's specific real-life graphic novel experience makes me feel more hopeful after seeing some real dreadful cartooning advice online last week. And the reason it was dreadful was because it was too broad, too vague.

Cover art is from his new graphic novel WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE WORLD OF TOMORROW?, slated for April 2009 release from Abrams.

Thanks for this, Brian! And Happy New Year to you, my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment