George Tuska 1916-2009


George Tuska, veteran comic strip and comic book artist, passed away last night. The cause was a stroke.

The Comics Reporter has an obituary, and quotes a 2001 interview with PC Hamerlinck that describes the then-18-year-old's acquaintance with art:

After high school I visited my aunt in New York City, where I ended up working a few odd jobs. One was designing women's costume jewelry. It was fun, but I soon found out that it just wasn't my thing. Shortly thereafter, a friend of mine invited me to work out with him, lifting weights at a local gym. I exercised for five hours that day. The next day I was so sore I couldn't get out of bed. My friend came over, and we dropped in to visit a friend of his who was a sculptor. His studio was on one of the West 70s Streets, overlooking Central Park. I never got to know his name, but he knew I was interested in art, so he recommended me to the National Academy of Design. At the time it was located at 104th Street and Amsterdam Avenue. Thus began my art career!

Above image of Iron Man #71, November, 1974, nicked from My First Comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment